Good morning, friends! I mentioned in my post last week that I had begun participating in Lara Casey’s #2014GoalSetting series. Well, this past week the series wrapped up and after much soul-searching, I’m here to share what I came up with to make BIG things happen in 2014!
:: image ::
Step 1: What worked in 2013? What am I grateful for and what good things happened in 2013?
- You can read my Year in Review post to see all the good things of 2013. Despite the ups and downs throughout the year, there were some definite highlights and memories to carry with me into the new year.
Step 2: What didn’t work in 2013?
- Too much loss and change in a short period of time.
- Over-training physically, resulting in an injury.
- Loss of perspective and focus on the important things in life when stress was mounting, which often lead to burnout and exhaustion.
Step 3: Get Visual
- Check out my Pinterest board: Making Things Happen in 2014. These are things that inspire and empower me for the year ahead!
Step 4: What I Learned from What Worked
- Even when life feels bad and messy, God is still good. As James 4:6 says, “He gives more grace.” It’s a matter of perspective. Choosing to focus on His graces and all the way He loves me every day, greatly helped me in the dark days.
- It’s okay to let go, to rest, to receive grace. I learned that I don’t always have to be strong and that it’s okay to ask for help. It’s also not the end of the world if I can’t get a workout in. Resting makes way for healing – physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
- Faith. Family. Friends. These are the things that matter and that I need to put more of my energy into on a regular basis.
Step 5: What I Learned from What Didn’t Work
- The body needs time to rest, recover, and heal after long, hard, and intense periods of training and racing.
- Stress is most often a result of how we choose to view our current circumstances. Perspective matters. Dwelling on the negative and getting lost in the chaos can make us lose ourselves and other important things in the process.
- A job is a job. If you look to a job as your one and only source of fulfillment, it will surely disappoint. It’s a means to fulfillment and satisfaction, but not the end all, be all. Only God can do that. He provides what we need to be fulfilled in Him.
- I can’t control everything. Yes, I am a control-freak and I have to let go. Let go. Let go. And breathe. Deep.
Step 6: What Fires Me Up?
- I made another Pinterest board to give vision to those things that light my soul on fire. Check it out here. I hope to take more time in 2014 to dabble in those things that bring delight and joy to my soul.
:: image ::
Step 7: What is my 2014 Vision?
My word for 2014 is SEEK. This word keeps coming back to me as I read the scriptures and pray over this year. Therefore, my vision is based on the same theme…
I will SEEK God – His love, grace, truth, and kingdom – first and foremost, in all things. I want to be so full of God that all that I think, say, and do are a result of the outpouring of His Spirit in me. I will SEEK love – in my marriage, family relationships, friendships, and in my community. My heart’s desire is to pour myself into the people and places God has put in my life, serving and cherishing them to the best extent possible. I will SEEK health – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. I commit to balancing activity with rest, and honoring the mind-body-spirit connection within me. I will SEEK inspiration and influence – immersing myself in the those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable to empower my gifts and talents in order to help others and myself live our best lives now. I dare to be brave and step outside of my comfort zone to reach new heights with my passions and creativity. I will SEEK adventures – traveling, exploring, and trying new things to keep me awake to life and the big wide world around me. I will SEEK the ‘good life’ in everything that I do – keeping perspective, believing in myself, dreaming big, praying wildly, practicing simplicity, and embracing the beauty and grace that surrounds me every day. My vision for 2014 is to become a woman after God’s own heart who falls in love with life every day and inspires others to do the same.
Step 8: What Am I Saying “No” to in 2014?
- Stress, chaos, and negativity.
- Fear, doubt, and worries over things beyond my control.
- Over-thinking, over-planning, over-training, over-cleaning … basically anything that has become an idol to me in my efforts to control things.
Step 9: What Am I Saying “Yes” to in 2014?
- Asking. SEEKing. Knocking.
- Pursuit of God and His heart, plans, and purpose for my life.
- Dreaming BIG.
- BOLD faith.
- BRAVE prayers.
- Love. Relationships. The people who matter.
- Getting out of my comfort zone and putting myself out in the world through writing, photography, and running.
Step 10: Plant Seeds and Create Legacy.
- Blogging: regular posts on the things God places on my heart to share with the world.
- Cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in my life and the lives of those around me.
- Practice random acts of kindness and being a gift to those around me.
- Holiday traditions, recipes, and creative / athletic interests shared with others.
- Be an encouragement.
Step 11: Define my ‘radical.’
This year I will be taking the steps to begin planning the next phase of my career – owning my own business. While I don’t quite have it all figured out yet, I have an idea of what I want and will be doing the research and drafting a business plan that will hopefully lead me to being in the business of encouraging, inspiring, and awakening others up to ‘the good life’ full-time.
I also had started writing a book awhile ago, and it is my plan to carve the time out to finish it by the end of this year.
This all definitely feels way bigger than me. But I guess that’s what radical means though, huh?
:: image ::
Step 12: Sing Loud!
My song for 2014 is “Oh How I Need You” by All Sons and Daughters. The lyrics fit my word and vision for this year perfectly:
Lord I find You in the morning
Lord I seek You everyday
Let my life be for Your glory
Woven in your threads of grace
I need You
Oh how I need You
Step 13 + 14: Review + Set Good Goals.
Spiritual: Grow in my belief, my faith, my practice, and my love of Jesus. Make Him my first love, my everything. Attend church on a regular basis; participate in on-going community life, such as #SheReadsTruth and/or a small group; love and serve others with a cheerful, grateful heart; and give God room to work in every area of my life, letting His Spirit move in and through me to touch others with His love, grace, and peace.
Marriage / Family / Home: Make marriage a number one priority. Be a team, go on more dates, try and do new things together, give grace, support, encouragement and strength to one another. Never miss a moment to gather with loved ones and bask in the simple pleasures of life. Share and open our home to others and finish home improvement projects. Continue to clean out our storage area of unused, excess items and donate to an organization and/or those in need. Clear out space of unnecessary clutter and make room for better things: people.
Health: Begin training again on a regular, routine basis to maintain healthy weight and body image. Listen to my body and allow myself rest and breaks when needed. Strengthen my body to be able to complete various races throughout the year, including possibly a distance I have not yet done before.
Financial: Reduce unnecessary spending and continue to build savings and make wise investments. Participate in regular, annual giving to charitable and mission-based causes.
Professional: Obtain LMSW in the spring. Develop a business plan and obtain LLC by the end of the year. Revamp blogging space and participate in regular link-ups and online community-life. Engage as a member of the Influence Network with other writers / creators in classes, discussions, and study. Say “yes” to opportunities to engage with, learn from, and teach others about faith and living the good life.
Fun / Social: MORE reading, traveling, creating, playing, exploring, dreaming, and believing. MORE girlfriend time, adventures, laughter, possibilities, DIY projects, and inspiration.
This series has made a significant impact on me over the last week. I am thrilled to be starting the new year off with a clear vision and goals for the months ahead. I believe God for the amazing things He can and will do in my life this year. Here’s to making BIG things happen in 2014!
“Go after a life of love as if your life depended on it – because it does.
Give yourselves to the gifts God gives you.”
1 Corinthians 14:1, The Message