If we were sitting down conversing over a hot cup of coffee on this quiet winter afternoon, I would tell you that it’s the little things that have really been making a difference to me lately. Since the turn of the New Year, I’ve been recording three “gifts” that I am graced with each day, as part of my commitment to counting one thousand gifts in 2013. By the end of today, I will have 123 gifts written in my leather journal, most of which are small; but it’s these tiny graces that bring a great amount of joy to my everyday life.
Here are some of those little things that are making me so happy:
- Due to the unpredictable weather, low temperatures, and short hours of daylight in the morning and evening hours, I decided to do a month-to-month membership at Anytime Fitness to keep my mileage up and stay fit over these winter months. Although I don’t usually run with an iPod, music has become an integral part of my routine for now because, let’s face it, running on a treadmill is just plain bo-ring. I jumped on iTunes and downloaded a bunch of new songs and put together a long and upbeat playlist, entitled “Luv2Run,” that keeps me motivated and speedy.
- The Monday I returned to work after our trip to Vegas, my hubby sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers with a “thank you” note to my office expressing his gratitude for my support of him over the past six months that he spent coaching, traveling, and preparing for the competition. The “thank you” note alone was a wonderful gift, but paired with the flowers was a lovely display of his affection and appreciation of me. After two weeks, they still look beautiful and bring a smile to my face every time I sit down at my desk.
- Early morning coffee. Need I say more?!? Not only is it a necessity, but I love my collection of coffee mugs and the warmth in my hands as I sit and read or watch the Today Show by the fire before work or on lazy weekend days…like today.
- Our basement was recently carpeted and while there are still some detail items that need finishing, it is essentially complete. This past week, we have spent almost every night downstairs watching sports and movies in our home theater; and I am finally able to access and enjoy my home office again which is awesome. I love having my very own little corner in the world to write, dream, think, create, and read!
- I am a huge breakfast fan and I have found that the easiest of breakfasts are really the best breakfasts. Right now I’m on a “granola with fruit” kick – my favorite combination being granola and blueberries. It’s simply delicious.
- I’ve been keeping up with my scripture memory verses, and have three that are becoming ingrained in my brain. Soaking in God’s Word each morning as part of devotion and prayer time is a fabulous practice I very much enjoy, but taking it a step further and actually committing His truth to memory has done wonders for me emotionally and mentally. Doing this keeps the focus on God, and helps combat the fears, lies, and negativity the world throws our way.
- One thing that best helps me get through the tough winter days is having things to look forward to, like trips, activities, etc. The hubby and I have been planning activities and little getaways as part of our plan to not let the “winter blues” set in. We went to Vegas last month; I’ll have a four day weekend this weekend due to President’s Day; and next month we’ll be going to Colorado (an annual tradition involving skiing, hiking, and time with family and friends). I have a list of things I keep handy so that when down time comes and we feel like doing something, we can make plans easily and have fun no matter what! I recommend doing this if you’re like me and need those little breaks to stay sane.
- Getting lost in a good book. As my previous post mentioned, I’ve been reading quite a bit. I’m currently working my way through two other books and I just love the peace and relaxation that comes with sitting down to read by the fire in the afternoon or before bed. I actually find that I sleep better when I read right before bed too – and that’s always a good thing!
- I put together an inspiration board in my home office encompassing positive quotes and thoughts (thank you Pinterest)! I had been looking around for something unique to hang in the one corner above my chair and after not having any luck in the stores, I just created my own little dandy. It fits the space and décor perfectly and captures the essence of who I am and what I’m about. Love it!
These are just some of the little things that I have been appreciating since the start of 2013. The ironic thing is, these little graces, these gifts, add up to be the big things that make life so good.
Remember, it’s the little things.